Wow — we certainly have a lot to celebrate this month! Fall — one of our favorite seasons — is right around the corner, and beyond that, it’s a significant month for the eye health / eyewear industry. That’s right… August is national “Children’s Eye Health & Safety” month!
Tips to Keep Your Child’s Eyes Healthy & Safe
In honor of this auspicious month, we’d like to share a few National Eye Institute-backed tips that can help you protect your child’s eyes.
For healthy eyes, encourage your kiddos to…
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Help your child load up on fruits and veggies (bonus points for leafy greens!), as well as fish like salmon and tuna to keep their eyes healthy.
- Run, jump, play… just move! Active play can help prevent health issues, like diabetes, that can lead to vision problems.
- Wash their hands. Clean hands are an important part of maintaining good health overall, and they’re especially important when it comes to your child’s eyes. Encourage your child to wash their hands often, and to resist touching their face or rubbing their eyes with dirty hands, as this could lead to infection.
- Wear their glasses. This one is a no-brainer — glasses help your child see, and wearing them helps reduce unnecessary eye strain! On that note, make sure your child knows to speak up if their vision changes or if their eyes ever bother them.
- Wear their sports glasses. If your child plays a contact sport, it’s important that they swap out their regular glasses for protective eyewear. Many eye injuries could be prevented with protective sports glasses. Does your kiddo have prescription lenses? No problem! Ulla offers Rx able sports goggles, a great way to protect your eye and eyewear during any contact sport.
- Wear their sunglasses. Sunglasses not only make kids look even cuter — they also serve a more practical purpose: protecting young eyes from the harmful effects of the sun. By the age of 18, an individual has exposed their eyes to over half the amount of harmful sunlight that they’ll let into their eyes over the course of their life, so it’s very important that kids wear sunglasses from a young age. Is your child need of a pair of kids sunnies? Our kids sunglasses start at $20! No need to worry about your child losing their sunnies, the purchase of our kids sunglasses include a loss warranty!
- Give their eyes a break. Is your child an active reader? Do they spend a significant amount of time staring at screens? Teach them the 20/20/20 rule: after every 20 minutes, look roughly 20 feet away from their book or screen for 20 seconds.
Kids Frames & Sunglasses Available at Ulla
While we might not be able to help you convince your kids to eat healthy, we can certainly lend a hand when it comes to outfitting your child with glasses and sunglasses! At Ulla, we’re proud to offer a selection of cool, trendy glasses and sunglasses for kids. Our adorable kids frame and lens packages start at only $248! Learn more about our awesome Jonas Paul and Zoobug frames below!
Jonas Paul: Fashionable and sophisticated, but still durable. The Jonas Paul story is a beautiful one: after their son was born blind due to a rare disorder and developed low vision thanks to 21 surgeries, Ben and Laura Harrison launched Jonas Paul Eyewear with a mission of helping children feel beautiful in their glasses and providing sight to children in the developing world.
Zoobug: Colorful and fun! Zoobug frames, which come with a 12-month warranty, are perfect for the active child in your life. Designed by an opthamologist for a better, customized fit, Zoobug frames come in a variety of bright colors and fun shapes. Zoobug also donates sunglasses and glasses to eye charity Orbis to help children in Africa, Asia, and South America see better!
Schedule Their Back-to-School Eye Exam, Too!
If your kids are due for a back-to-school eye exam in addition to needing new frames, you’re in luck. Dr. Haferman — a registered optometrist — joined the Ulla team this year and now provides eye exams to kids and adults alike! Click here to schedule an appointment with Dr. Haferman and to view insurance information.
From everyone at Ulla — wishing you and your family a very merry Children’s Eye Health & Safety month! We hope to see you this August!